I'll Try My Best To Not Get Eaten By A Lion

Cape Town: January 2nd, 2010 - February 23rd, 2010
Johannesburg: February 23rd, 2010 - February 28th, 2010
Kruger National Park: February 28th, 2010-March 14th, 2010


Monday, January 4, 2010

So this is what Africa looks like?

My trip was as painless as a door to door 30+ hour trip could be. Nonetheless, I was completely exhausted when I arrived in Cape Town…until we loaded our bags into taxis to go to where we are staying. I managed to charm my way into the front seat, and was completely flabbergasted by the view of Table Mountain and the incredibly clear air. I don’t believe there is a more gorgeous place in the world.

We are staying in guesthouses, which are essentially hotels. I have a bed and towel service, get breakfast and dinner prepared for me every day (and the food is wonderful) and we have a private pool. The people on my program are the only ones who live in these guesthouses, so it feels a little bit like a really spoiled version of a dorm room. I am in paradise.

Today we got on a bus and drove around Cape Town. We climbed up Cape Point, which has a view of where the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean meet. I had a little bit of an allergic reaction (I started sneezing a lot?), so I only made it about 90% of the way to the top – but my god was it gorgeous. I was literally standing near the tip of Africa.




Outside my room. I'll post some inside shots when my stuff is better unpacked.



Our backyard private pool!



Houses and stores close to where we live.



The Atlantic freaking ocean.

We also went to a penguin reserve – I’m still not quite sure why. They were adorable and I took great pictures, but I don't understand why of all places that was necessary to see on our first day here.


Penguins!



A small beach we ended our day with.


Will update more once classes start. I’m completely, completely exhausted but not particularly jetlagged. Special shoutout to you dad - this camera was the best present ever.

Hello Africa!

2 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely beautiful! I feel the same way about Oaxaca, except that I forgot my USB connector to my camera and therefore cannot upload any beautiful pictures. I thought you were worried about camping outside? This looks like you're being doted on! Go UChicago :)

    ReplyDelete